Certified Residential Energy Auditor
Rising energy costs and inefficiencies in homes and residential structures are increasingly driving the need for qualified residential energy auditors. The Residential Energy Auditor (REA™) certification program is designed to recognize professionals with energy auditing expertise and experience specific to addressing residential energy use.
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in residential energy auditing
- To improve the practice of residential energy auditing by encouraging energy auditing in a continuing education program of professional development.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of energy auditing through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those energy auditing professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness in residential energy auditing
Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
|Education & Experience|
|2-year Technical degree or 4-year degree from an accredited university or college OR|
|Currently working as a residential energy auditor with 3+ yeras of verifiable experience OR|
|US Military Veteran with 3+ years of verifiable relevant technical experience OR|
|Current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)|
All REA candidates must attend one of AEE's preparatory REA training seminars, submit a REA certification application, and pass an open book examination, which is proctored by an approved exam administrator.
The examination is based on approved Body of Knowledge, which includes the main subject areas and the percentages of each included in the examination.
Step One: Register for the REA Training Seminar
Step Two: Complete Your REA Certification Application & Register for an Exam
- Certification Application and Examination Fees:
- $400 if exam is taken at a remote testing center following completion of an online training seminar
- Certification Renewal:
- $300 every three years
- International Fees:
- Fees may vary outside the U.S. Contact your local training provider for seminar, certification, examination, and renewal fees.