10 AEE credits are needed every three years to maintain your AEE certification. You need to obtain these from various sources1, such as;
- Employment in the industry (1 credit per year - 3 max.)
- Membership in a professional engineering society (1 credit per year - 3 max.)
- Offices held in professional engineering society (1 credit per year - 3 max.)
- Attending relevant industry events (per credit hour - max. 2/year)
- Training in a related field (per credit hour - max. 2/year)
- Presenting to your peers at events (per credit hour - max. 2/year)
- Obtaining an industry award (varies)
- Writing a technical paper or article (varies)
Article - The Value of Maintaining Certification
Required Information for Application of Credits
AEE Certified Professionals must maintain records to support the application of credits and a Continuing Professional Competency (CPC). Activities that enhance and improve a professional’s skills in the area certified and courses presented by an accredited university or college, nonprofit organization, or continuing education department are most relevant and generally accepted for credit. Certified professionals must use good judgment when applying credits for renewals.
AEE Conducts random audits; if chosen, the certified professional is expected to provide proof of documentation for the CEUs claimed. The AEE Certification board will not pre-approve courses or course providers and reserves the right to approve or deny the application of credits. Course providers should present certified professionals with the information needed for documentation as proof of continuing education.