Certified GeoExchange Designer Program
The Certified GeoExchange Designer (CGD) program is designed to recognize professionals who have demonstrated high levels of experience, competence, proficiency, and ethical fitness in applying the principles and practices of geothermal heat pump design and related disciplines, as well as to raise the professional standards within the field, and to encourage those involved in the design process through a continuing education program of professional development. The CGD certification is granted by the Association of Energy Engineers and sponsored by the Geothermal Heat Pump Consortium® (GHPC).
- CGD Recognition
Certified GeoExchange Designer (CGD) is one of the acceptable credentials for contractors doing work for NYSERDA's Ground Source Heat Pump Rebate Initiative
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in the principles and practices of geothermal heat pump design.
- To improve the practice of geothermal heat pump design and related disciplines.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of geothermal heat pump design through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those energy professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness for geothermal heat pump design.
Applicant must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
4-year engineering/architectural degree OR Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA)
|AND||3+ years related* experience|
|4-year unrelated degree||AND||5+ years related* experience|
|2-year associate degree||AND||8+ years related* experience|
|NONE||10+ years related* experience|
*Related experience in commercial geothermal heat pump design and heating, ventilating and air conditioning field.
If you do not meet one of the eligibility criteria above, you can still apply for an in-training certification, CGD-IT. In order to gain the in-training certification, you must attend a CGD preparatory training seminar, submit the CGD certification application, and pass the CGD certification examination. The CGD-IT certification is valid for three years, which allows you time to meet the full CGD certification eligibility requirements.
All CGD candidates must attend a preparatory CGD training seminar, submit a CGD certification application, and pass an open book examination, which is proctored by an approved exam administrator.
Step One: Register for the CGD Training Seminar
International Ground Source Heat Pump Association
1201 S. Innovation Drive
Stillwater, OK 74074
(800) 626-4747 or (405) 744-5175
Step Two: Complete Your CGD Certification Application & Register for an Exam
Application and examination fees are nonrefundable