Certified Building Energy Simulation Analyst
AEE's Building Energy Simulation Analyst (BESA™) professional certification is designed to recognize individuals with special expertise and experience in the area of utilizing building energy simulation software to assess a facility's energy performance.
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in energy simulation.
- To improve the practice of energy simulators by encouraging energy simulation in a continuing education program of professional development.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of energy simulation through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those energy simulation professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness in energy simulation.
Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
|4-year engineering/architectural degree OR
Professional Engineer (PE) OR Registered Architect (RA)
|AND||3+ years related* experience|
|4-year unrelated degree||AND||5+ years related* experience|
|2-year associate degree||AND||6+ years related* experience|
|NONE||10 years related* experience|
|The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®)|
*Related experience in building modeling, commercial energy auditing, or energy management
All BESA candidates must attend a BESA prepatory training seminar, provided by an approved training provider, submit a BESA certification application, and pass an open book examination, which is proctored by an approved exam administrator.
The examination is based on an approved Body of Knowledge, which includes the main subject areas and the percentages of each included in the examination.
Step One: Register for the BESA Training Seminar of Your Choice
Step Two: Complete your BESA Certification Application & Register for an Exam
- Certification Application and Examination Fees:
- $300 if exam is taken in conjunction with a live BESA training seminar
- $400 if exam is taken remotely
- Application and examination fees are nonrefundable
- Certification Renewal:
- $300 every three year
- $300 every three year
- International Fees:
- Fees may vary outside the U.S. Contact your local training provider for seminar, certification, examination, and renewal fees.