We offer remote proctoring which refers to taking an online exam using a personal computer with a live proctor monitoring the student by webcam and screen sharing technology.
Before submitting your application please review the following remote testing procedures:
1. Review remote proctoring videos and information links to confirm this is a good option for you:
2. Register and complete the AEE approved training seminar.
3. Submit the certification application. Please allow 4 weeks for application review and processing.
4. AEE reviews the application and emails you a confirmation, either accepting the application, or requesting additional information if necessary.
5. Create a ProctorU account: Once AEE processes your certification application, we will pass on your information to ProctorU and you will receive an invitation email from ProctorU to take the specific certification exam. If this is your first time using ProctorU, you will need to create your account with the primary email address you provided us on the certification application and complete your profile.
6. Receive exam scheduling confirmation: Once your exam has been scheduled, a notification email will be sent to your from ProctorU. If you need to reschedule your exam date or location, please login to your ProctorU account. For exams cancelled/rescheduled less than 1 hour of exam reservation, a $100 rescheduling fee payable to AEE will be required before the exam can be rescheduled.
Computer System Check List
Additionally, please visit and review the test-taker resource center here.
7. Take your exam: On Exam day, 5 minutes before your exam appointment time, go to www.proctoru.com, log in, and follow the prompts.
- Be in a private, well-lit room
- Clear your workspace
- Have your photo I.D. ready
- Close all third-party programs
- No non-religious head coverings
- No duplicated computer monitors
- A proctor from ProctorU will be connected with you.
- They will require you to present government issued photo ID.
- They will also require for you to pan your room and desk with the camera to verify that you are alone taking the exam.
- Please ensure your desk area is clear of any clutter or papers other than approved exam resources mentioned below under AEE Exam Rules.
- Remember to ask others to refrain from coming into the room where you are taking your exam as you need to be alone to take your exam.
- Try to take a bathroom break BEFORE you start as any bathroom breaks during the exam will NOT stop the clock. You will be required to rescan the room with your webcam again.
- They will ask permission to share your desktop. This is to enable them to enter a password to open your exam. You must have some administrative privileges on the computer you are working on for this to be enabled.
- If a proctor does not come on right away, do NOT leave the ProctorU site. If you leave the site YOU WILL LOSE YOUR EXAM APPOINTMENT TIME.
- There are sometimes delays due to a large number of students logging on at the same time. If you have waited more than 20 minutes for a proctor, you may call ProctorU at 855-772-8678 (be sure to press the option for “test-taker”) or open your email (don’t close ProctorU) and send them a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If internet connection is lost during your exam appointment, ProctorU will attempt to re-establish the connection with you virtually and/or via contact from ProctorU support team. Also, you can reconnect with ProctorU from your ProctorU account.
- You will take the exam online under AEE’s general rules:
AEE EXAM RULES:
This is an open book exam. Candidates are responsible for their open-book resources. Printed PDF documents and notes must be bound, which includes a 3-ring binder and coil bound. Reference textbooks are allowed during the exam. Other resources allowed are: Calculator (Four function, scientific, graphing and financial), ruler, book tabs and protractor.
Absolute silence must be maintained during the exam. Any person caught in violation of these rules will be excused from the exam and receive a failing score.
Two pieces of scratch paper are allowed. At conclusion of the exam, the proctor will have you destroy the scratch paper. You will only be allowed to make exam notes/calculations on the scratch paper. You may not add or remove any paper to your binder during the test. Any person caught writing on his/her workbook, textbook or printed notes will automatically receive a failing score on the exam.
Bathroom breaks are allowed during the exam but keep in mind that the clock does NOT stop. After the bathroom break the proctor will have you redo the room scan using your webcam.
If you are caught in violation of AEE’s rules, a retake of the exam will not be allowed for a minimum period of at least six months.
8. Notification of exam results: Upon completion of the exam, you will see a PRELIMINARY test score (excluding CMVP). You will receive a letter from AEE via email within 30 days of completion of the exam which includes the OFFICIAL test score and application status. Please do not call AEE about your test results before the end of the thirty-day period. Exam results are not available on the AEE website.
9. Review by the Certification Board: If all required references are in place, the application is in order, all fees have been paid, you’ve met all eligibility requirements and passed the exam, AEE will send your file to Certification Board for final approval.
10. Receiving your certification: The Board approval process usually takes 6-8 weeks. Once the approvals have been sent to AEE from the Certification Board, your achieve certification status, and will receive a certificate in the mail.
Please do not contact ProctorU for any information on your certification status.