Certified Demand Side Manager
AEE's Certified Demand Side Manager (CDSM) program awards special recognition to those professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness for demand-side disciplines. This program is highly utilized by those working in the utility industry.
- To provide professional curriculum and instruction on current demand side management program topics and issues to those energy professionals engaged in the development, implementation, management, or administration of demand side management and demand response programs or to those seeking career growth in the future into this area.
- To raise the professional standards of those energy professionals engaged in the development, implementation, management, administration, or work supporting demand side management and demand response programs.
- To improve the practice of those demand side managers engaged in the development, implementation, or management of demand side management and demand response programs by encouraging continuing education for professional development.
- To promote the support of demand side management and demand response program methodologies that are current with the issues of today and will reduce the use of energy, power, and demand and resulting impact on emissions including carbon.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of developing, implementing, managing, administering, or working on demand side management and demand response programs by fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct and successfully completing a professional certification examination.
- To award special recognition to those demand side management professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness in the area of demand side management and demand response.
Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
|4-year related* degree OR Professional Engineer (PE) OR Registered Architect (RA)||AND||2+ years related* experience|
|4-year unrelated degree||AND||3+ years related* experience|
|2-year associate degree||AND||5+ years related* experience|
|NONE||10+ years related* experience|
|The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®), Business Energy Professional (BEP®), Certified Energy Procurement Professional (CEP®)|
*Related degree in energy management, business, marketing, finance, engineering, or architecture and related experience in demand side management programs or work related to supporting demand-side management.
If you do not meet one of the eligibility criteria above, you can still apply for an in-training certification, CDSM-IT. In order to gain the in-training certification, you must attend a preparatory training seminar or obtain a degree from an approved training provider, submit the CDSM-IT certification application under step two below, and pass the CDSM certification examination. The CDSM-IT certification is valid for six years, which allows you time to meet the full PCF certification eligibility requirements.
All CDSM candidates must attend one of AEE's preparatory CDSM training seminars, submit a CDSM certification application, and pass an open book examination, which is proctored by an approved exam administrator.
The examination is based on an approved Body of Knowledge, which includes the main subject areas and the percentages of each included in the examination.
Step One: Register for the CDSM Training Seminar
The upcoming seminars are listed below. For a full listing of all CDSM training options, visit the Training Page.
Step Two: Complete Your CDSM Certification Application & Register for an Exam
Certification Application and Examination Fees:
Candidates wishing to take an international certification program should contact the local training provider for seminar, certification application, exam registration, and fees.
If there is not an AEE training provider in your country, AEE can present a training program for groups. For additional information, please complete this request form. U.S. Military, please use this request form.