AEE's Building Energy Simulation Analyst (BESA™) professional certification is designed to recognize individuals with special expertise and experience in the area of utilizing building energy simulation software to assess a facility's energy performance.
Since 1981, AEE has certified thousands of professionals within the energy industry. AEE's certifications are recognized by governmental agencies, including the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Agency for International Development, as well as by utilities, end users, and energy service companies.
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in energy simulation.
- To improve the practice of energy simulators by encouraging energy simulation in a continuing education program of professional development.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of energy simulation through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those energy simulation professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness in energy simulation.
BESA Eligibility Requirements
The candidate must have:
|A four-year degree in engineering or architecture OR
Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA)
||At least 3 years of experience in building modeling, commercial energy auditing, energy management, or related
|A four-year non-engineering degree
||At least 5 years of experience in building modeling, commercial energy auditing, energy management, or related
|A two-year technical degree
||At least 6 years of experience in building modeling, commercial energy auditing, energy management, or related
||At least 10 years of experience in building modeling, commercial energy auditing, energy management, or related
|The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®)
All BESA candidates will be required to complete AEE's BESA preparatory training seminar, Fundamentals of Building Energy Simulation. The seminar will be available towards the end of 2010.
|FUNDAMENTALS OF BUILDING ENERGY SIMULATION (Prep: BESA Certification)
3-day seminar / exam on the afternoon of day three of the seminar.
Click link to view the current schedule:
Seminar Dates / Registration Info | Join AEE
The BESA Examination
To be awarded the BESA designation, candidates must attend the Fundamentals of Building Energy Simulation Seminar prior to taking the BESA exam and receive a pass rate of 70% on the examination. The certification director keeps examination scores on file for a period of three years. Applicants that do not receive certification status can request that their applications be resubmitted to the BESA Board, if during that three-year period their education or experience level changes.
- Exam Fee: A fee of $300 is payable with the filing of this application and administering of the exam
- Certification Exam Cancellation Fee: $200
- Seminar Fee:
- Regular Fee: $1550
- AEE Member Fee: $1450
- Government & Nonprofit Fee: $1450
- Certification Renewal:
For information on maintaining your certification, please go to our certification renewals website.
For Additional Information About BESA Certification...
If you have any questions about BESA certification, please contact:
Francine Seskin, BESA Certification Director
(770) 447-5083, ext. 223