REP - Certified Renewable Energy Professional
The Renewable Energy Professional (REP™) certification, introduced by AEE in 2010 is designed to recognize the expertise and experience of professionals involved in the specification and application of renewable and alternative energy technologies, assessment of renewable energy projects, and development of achievable low-carbon and sustainability goals for organizations.
Since 1981, AEE has certified thousands of professionals within the energy industry. AEE's certifications are recognized by governmental agencies, including the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Agency for International Development, as well as by utilities, end users, and energy service companies.
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in renewable energy.
- To improve the practice of renewable energy professionals by encouraging renewable energy in a continuing education program of professional development.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of renewable energy through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those renewable energy professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness in renewable energy.
- 4-year degree in Engineering, Architecture, Science, Business , or related with 2 years of experience in renewable, alternative energy, biomass, biofuel, solar, or related.
- 2-year technical degree with 5 years of experience in renewable, alternative energy, biomass, biofuel, solar, or related.
- 10 years of experience in renewable, alternative energy, biomass, biofuel, solar, or related.
- The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®).
- Alternate Energy: Assessment & Implementation Reference Book
- Alternative Fuels: The Future of Hydrogen, 2nd Edition
- Hydrogen & Fuel Cells: Advances in Transportation and Power
- Megatrends for Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
- Renewable Energy Basics
- Solar Energy
- Wind Energy
- Waste Conversion
- Ocean Thermal Energy
- Approval Process
Certification Application and Examination:
- $300 if exam is taken in conjunction with AEE's 3-day live training seminar
- $400 if exam is taken in an ACT remote testing center following completion of AEE's realtime online REP training seminar
- Live Seminar Option: $1450 for AEE members / $1550 for non-AEE members
- Realtime Online Seminar Option: $995 for AEE members / $1095 for non-AEE members
- $300 every three years
How to Apply for REP Certification
Application Deadlines: Your completed application must be received by the Certification Administrator at least 3 weeks prior to the date of the examination for which you wish to sit.
REGISTER FOR THE AEE REP TRAINING SEMINAR OF YOUR CHOICE
All REP candidates are required to complete either the 3-day live Fundamentals of Renewable Energy: Technologies, Applications, Strategies training program at one of its scheduled locations, or the web-based seminar, Certified Renewable Energy Professional Preparatory Training Program (12 hours in 6 two-hour online sessions) offered several times each year.
Note: Registering for the seminar does not automatically register you for the REP exam. After completing your seminar registration, return to this page, and go to STEP TWO. The links below will take you to seminar course information, current schedules and access to online seminar registration:
SEMINAR OPTION 1 (live seminar):
SEMINAR OPTION 2 (online seminar):
Certified Renewable Energy Professional Preparatory Training Program
12-hour (over 6 days) realtime online seminar
Earns 1.2 CEU
Click above link for seminar description, dates and times, fee information, and online registration.
NOTE: If you register for the online seminar, be sure to select the remote exam option under "Testing Location" on your REP certification application. The REP exam is administered at remote testing centers, located throughout the U.S. See detailed instructions below.
REP Certification/Exam Application
Click here for application
(Application covers both live and remote testing options)
TESTING OPTION 1:
(onsite exam with live seminar)
TESTING OPTION 2:
(exam at remote testing center
following completion of online seminar)
The procedure for those wishing to use Testing Option 1 is as follows:
The procedure for those wishing to use Testing Option 2 is as follows:
Please do not contact the Remote Testing Center for any information on your certification status.
For information on maintaining your certification, please go to our certification renewals website.
If you have any questions about REP certification please contact:
Francine Seskin, REP Certification Administrator
(770) 447-5083, ext. 223