AEE's Distributed Generation Certified Professional (DGCP) program is designed to provide recognition for professionals who have distinguished themselves as leaders in the distributed generation field. The designation DGCP identifies individuals who have demonstrated high levels of experience, competence, proficiency, and ethical fitness, bringing to their professional activities the full scope of knowledge essential to the effective development and management to today's distributed generation projects.
DGCP Certification Program Objectives
- To raise the professional standards of those engaged in distributed generation.
- To improve the practice of distributed generation by encouraging professionals in a continuing education of professional development.
- To identify persons with acceptable knowledge of the principles and practices of distributed generation through completing an examination and fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- To award special recognition to those professionals who have demonstrated a high level of competence and ethical fitness for distributed generation.
The prerequisites to qualify for the certification process have been designed to take into account the possible diversity of education and practical experience an individual may have. However each DGCP candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
- A four-year degree in science, engineering architecture, business, law, finance, or related field and/or be a Registered P.E.,
with at least three years experience in cogeneration or distributed generation.
- A two-year technical degree or four-year non-technical degree,
with at least five years experience in cogeneration or distributed generation.
- Ten years or more verified experience in cogeneration or distributed generation.
- The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®).
All candidates for DGCP certification are required to take a four-hour written, open-book examination. DGCP examinations are scheduled in conjunction with AEE's DGCP preparatory seminar program below. The DGCP exam is administered at each seminar site, on the afternoon of day three of the seminar.
DGCP Study Guide & Sample Questions
The fee for DGCP certification is as follows:
- Certification application and examination: $300
- 2-Day DGCP training seminar: $1,450 for AEE members / government / nonprofit; $1,550 for non-AEE members
- Certification renewal: $300 every three years
These fees must be paid at the time the DGCP application and the seminar registration are submitted. No application or examination fee refunds are allowed.
How to Apply for DGCP Certification
|Application Deadlines: Your completed application must be received by the Certification Administrator 3 weeks prior to date of the examination for which you wish to sit in order to guarantee you are pre-registered for the examination. After this date, you may be required to complete a waiver on-site if your name is not pre-registered
STEP ONE (required): REGISTER FOR THE SEMINAR
All DGCP candidates must complete the Basics of Distributed Generation & Onsite CHP 3-day preparatory seminar. Note: Registering online for the seminar does not automatically register you to take the DGCP exam. After completing your seminar registration, return to this page and go to STEP TWO below. The following links will take you to information and current schedules and fee information for this program, as well as access to online seminar registration:
STEP TWO: COMPLETE YOUR DGCP CERTIFICATION APPLICATION
After you have completed your seminar registration, click the link below to complete your online DGCP Certification Application:
DGCP Certification Application Form
Notification of Exam Results
Within thirty days of the date of the exam, you will be notified of your score. Your application fee must be paid before your score can be released. Do not call AEE about your test results before the end of the thirty-day period. Exam results are not available on the AEE website.
Review by the Certification Board
If you receive a passing score and have paid the examination fee, and if your file is complete, including all supporting documents, your file will be sent to the Certification Board for final review. You will be notified at that time that you will receive the Board's approval or denial within sixty days.
For information on maintaining your certification, please go to our certification renewals website.
For Additional Information About DGCP Certification...
If you have any questions about DGCP certification, or if you prefer to receive your Distributed Generation Certified Professional Application Package by mail, please write, call or email:
Francine Seskin, DGCP Certification Director
Association of Energy Engineers
(770) 447-5083, ext. 223